Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Successful Night!

I had a very hard time choosing a title for today. So many good things happened last night I'm thanking God for this angel that in just a few days has changed our house and lives.Now to business...lolFirst of all, SHE ATE!!!! Last night as I was making dinner, I guess the smells got her out of the crate and she made it into the kitchen. Her food is in the pantry. I pulled out some treats and she went for it. (So far treats had not worked either). So I sat in the floor and started hand feeding her food like the treats, putting handfuls in the floor. She ate about 5 handfuls, which I guesstimate is almost a bowl. My phone rang and I said to myself, "sorry, but my baby is eating now".As new fur parents we also make our mistakes and this baby is so good she doesn't even complain. Apparently the harness we bought was scratching her skin, we had not noticed that she had previous bruises on her chest and the harness was either too tight or the material didn't sit well with her. She’s been skeptic we have not been able to get too close to notice. My husband finally notices yesterday and he was so upset that she might have been hurting that he cut the harness off. He told me on the phone about it, so I went to the store and bought a new one. When I saw her, I decided that I didn't want to put the harness on until her scrapes heal.The question was how are we going to walk her now? The reason for the harness was that she tries to pull herself out of the leash and if we only use the neck collar she might get off and run away. Well, again success! I ventured into walking her with the leash and the neck collar. This time I didn't drag her out the door. I put the leash; she walks at least to the door, once the door opens, she starts backing out. I carried her out the door this time and closed behind me so that she couldn't run back in. We had our evening workout without issues. She strolled, which for my unfit self is running...LOL when I pulled to redirect her, she responded. We went to the mailbox and she patiently waited for me to get the mail out of the box. It was great!Later, it was time to pick up my husband from work. I've realized that she doesn't work with treats, but praises, at least for now. I want to make a routine for her to ride in the car when we go pick hubby. I'm sure she thought "where are we going? we already walked". I had to carry her into the car and out, mostly due to time constraints, but she had a pleasant ride and met hubby's co-workers who fell in love with her. Last but not least event of the night. Hubby was sort of sad that I was able to feed her and he couldn't get her to come near him. He sat in the living room for dinner. I was on the other sofa and she was just laying on my feet. At some point she decided to give him a try and started sniffing on his food. I got him some treats. He placed the treat in the leftover juices on his plate and she munched away and couldn't get enough. Then she started licking his hands. I know it made his night and she seemed happy when we went to bed.

Overall, I'm so happy that she's starting to adjust. I had the opportunity to inspect her coat while we were in the car waiting for hubby outside of work and found scabs of old injuries, that made me sad. I am happy that she's with us. She has more love than she can handle.

No comments: